Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye sign a historic defence agreement to strengthen collective deterrence (Europe Press)

Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye sign a historic defence agreement to strengthen collective deterrence (Europe Press)

This Friday in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye signed a historic joint defence agreement to strengthen their collective deterrence amid rising tensions in the Middle East.

In a joint statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, it was said: "The agreement aims to strengthen collective deterrence against any act of aggression and stipulates that any armed attack against any one of the three signatory states shall be regarded as an attack against them all".

Signed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of the Republic of Türkiye, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, this agreement reflects a shared commitment to strengthen further collective security in the region and beyond for a secure and prosperous future, and to promote peace, security, and stability.

The three countries emphasised that the agreement is grounded on "historical ties" centred on "Islamic brotherhood and solidarity", as well as "common strategic interests", and that they already have "close cooperation in defence matters", which this agreement can strengthen "in all its aspects".

In a press statement later released by the Presidency of Türkiye, President Erdoğan said the agreement, based on collective deterrence, will "contribute to advancing security and defence cooperation, developing joint projects in the defence industry, and combating terrorism".

The President thus reiterated that this agreement, which is based on the "right of self-defence" set out in Article 51 of the UN Charter, is "open to the participation of all brotherly countries that seek the peace, prosperity and stability of our region" because it is "not directed against any country."

"Türkiye will resolutely continue its principled stance on resolving conflicts and crises through dialogue and diplomacy, based on respect for international law," the official added, hoping the agreement would be positive for the region.

Saudi Deputy Minister for Public Diplomacy Dr. Rayed Krimly explained that the agreement is "not an attempt to create a military axis or a sectarian bloc" and is "not linked to nuclear ambitions or an arms race" but rather focuses on "developing sustainable capabilities".

"This agreement does not harm the Kingdom's strong and strategic relations with its Gulf, Arab and international partners. It does not pose a threat to the security of any country in the region, nor does it lead to an escalation of tensions between the two states," he argued.

Similarly, he stated that the trilateral defence agreement "does not replace or supersede any existing bilateral or multilateral agreements between these countries or with other states or international organisations."

On social media, Sharif emphasised that this was a "historic agreement that embodies the unity of three brotherly countries" that seeks to "promote peace as well as protect the interests of their peoples and serve their nations."

The Pakistani Prime Minister took the opportunity to convey his "sincerest appreciation and deep gratitude" to Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir, whom he said had a "decisive impact" on the success of this historic initiative.

This agreement came after Riyadh and Islamabad signed a defence agreement last year, which brought the issue of joint deterrence onto the agenda. At the time, Pakistani Defence Minister Khawaja Asif did not rule out including a third country in the agreement.

With this historic agreement, the three countries aim to strengthen defence cooperation amidthe war between the US and Iran, which affects Saudi territory and disrupts maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a strait vital for oil transport in the region.